Outdoor Summer Activities for Families
With the back-to-school season soon approaching, let’s make the most of the remaining summer break. Here are a few simple and inexpensive ideas to get your kids outdoors and soaking up the sunshine!
- Nature Walks: Leisurely strolls through your local park and pathways are a great way to pass the time and reconnect as a family. To make it more interactive, create a nature scavenger hunt using animals or vegetation.
- U-Pick Farm: Get up early, grab the sunscreen and head to your local U-pick berry farm. Turn it into a full day experience with a fun afternoon spent baking treats at home.
- Backyard Fun: Invite over the neighbours and build a backyard fun zone. Create an obstacle course using pool noodles & hula hoops. Draw hopscotch squares in chalk. Host a potato sack race using old pillow case covers. And don’t forget everyone’s favourite – water balloons!
- Picnic in the Park: Pack a healthy & delicious lunch and visit your local park or lake. Don’t forget to stop by the local ice cream shop for a sweet treat before you head home.
- Fishing: Teach a child to fish and create memories to last a lifetime. Fishing is not only a game of patience but can be invaluable in teaching kids about the ecosystem and where food sources come from. Not to mention the extended one on one time – perfect for putting away those electronics and reconnecting as a family!
- Gardening: Planting, growing and maintaining a garden is a great summer activity to get kids involved with. Not only can they pitch in and help, but they can also benefit from the fruits of their labour – literally! Being later in the season, try small potted plants like succulents that will transition easily from late summer to early fall.